The 92-room landmark hotel closed in 2009 for a complete makeover and Canoe Hospitality retained the services of NCL to clear the hotel of its contents. The owners chose not to have an on-site sale and NCL proposed selling the FF&E at an off-site location. During this process, NCL managed the removal of all assets and coordinated with the owners of the Hotel Bel-Air and the staff. NCL also had a team at the off-site location receiving the goods coming from the hotel and setting up a temporary retail store. Working in concert with the project manager, NCL was able to clear the hotel of its contents in a timely fashion so that the scheduledrenovation could begin. NCL opened the temporary retail location to the public in December of 2009 and was sold out in a matter of weeks.
Belleview Biltmore * Clearwater * 2009
First opened in 1897 and known as the “White Queen of the Gulf”, the hotel occupies 22 landscaped acres atop a 30-foot bluff in the residential community of Belleair. The hotel closed in 2009 and Legg Mason retained the services of NCL to clear the hotel of its contents as a prelude to the property’s planned redevelopment. NCL conducted an on-site liquidation sale beginning in July of 2009 and sold out in just under a month while preserving the integrity of the wooden landmark.
Watergate Hotel * Washington, DC * 2007
The Watergate Hotel, one of Washington’s most prestigious hotels, closed in 2007 with plans for a major renovation. The hotel is situated in the notorious Watergate Complex on the banks of the Potomac River, adjacent to the Kennedy Center. NCL contracted with Monument Realty and cleared the property of its contents by conducting an on-site public liquidation sale. The historical infamy of the complex brought customers from all over the country seeking a piece of the Watergate.
Sands Casino Hotel * Atlantic City * 2007
In November of 2006, the Sands Casino Hotel closed its doors for the last time as an operating hotel and casino. The 500-room well-known landmark opened up one more time to the public for a month long “everything goes” style liquidation sale beginning May 3, 2007. NCL also set up a separate “logo” shop where we exclusively sold memorabilia from the hotel’s gift shop at the owner’s request. Pinnacle Entertainment hired NCL to clear the building of its contents as a prelude to the structure’s demolition which occurred on October 18, 2007.
The Plaza * New York City * 2005
The world-renowned, landmark Plaza Hotel closed its doors April 30, 2005 to begin an extensive renovation including a condo conversion to the upper floors. Elad Properties retained the services of NCL and we were on-site immediately following the closing to prepare for what would be one of the largest, most-successful, on-site liquidation sales to date. The sale opened to the public on May 20, 2005 and we remained on-site for 60 days selling “to the walls”. The Plaza reopened to the public March 1, 2008.
The Dunes Hotel and Casino * Las Vegas * 1993
The world famous Dunes Hotel and Casino, located on the Las Vegas strip, closed its doors forever in 1993. The 1300 room hotel, which originally opened for business in May 1955 and was touted as the “miracle in the desert”, could no longer compete with the newer megaresorts that had redefined Las Vegas. The hotel was demolished in 1993, but prior to the demolition, NCL was contracted by the owners, Mirage Resorts, to liquidate the entire contents of the hotel and casino. A 60-day “to the walls” on-site liquidation was held where the general public came from all over to take home a piece of Las Vegas history. Today, the famous Bellagio stands in its place.
Ambassador Hotel * Los Angeles * 1991
The Ambassador Hotel was known in the early 1920’s until the late 1960’s as the winter residence of numerous prominent Hollywood actors and the site of several Academy Awards ceremonies. In 1968, Robert F. Kennedy was shot in a pantry off the Embassy Room following his California Primary victory Speech. His wounds proved fatal and in a sense, the Ambassador Hotel also died that night. The hotel finally closed its doors to guests in 1989. NCL was called upon in 1991 to provide a maximum return on the FF&E in the hotel. This was done so by conducting a 30-day on-site public sale. NCL successfully cleared the Ambassador of its contents and the hotel was finally demolished in 2006.
Sheraton Moana Hotel * Honolulu * 1987
The Moana, a historic landmark of Honolulu, is located on the world-famous Waikiki Beach. This hotel, known as the charming “first lady of Waikiki Beach” was erected in 1901. The Moana closed its doors to undergo extensive renovations and the Kyoya Company contracted with NCL to clear the property of its contents as the first phase of the complete renovation.
Hollywood Roosevelt * Los Angeles * 1984
The world famous Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel opened its doors in 1926 to play host to Hollywood’s most prestigious events in show biz, along with being the original set for the first Academy Awards. In 1984 the hotel closed its doors to totally renovate and restore the entire property to its former glory. The hotel owners contracted with NCL to clear the property of its contents prior to the restoration. NCL conducted an on-site liquidation sale making the entire contents of this Hollywood landmark available to the general public.
The Olympic Hotel * Seattle * 1980
The Olympic Hotel, built in 1924, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is truly the hotel that Seattle calls home. In 1980, the Urban Investment and Development Corporation engaged the services of NCL to dispose of the FF&E of the famous Olympic Hotel. Following NCL’s public liquidation sale, the Olympic underwent an extensive multi-million dollar restoration. The hotel is known today as The Fairmont Olympic and remains one of Seattle’s most prominent and prestigious locations.
Bellevue Stratford * Philadelphia * 1978 & 1987
Known locally as “the grand old lady of broad street”, the Bellevue was the stopping point for many visiting dignitaries, including every President from Theodore Roosevelt to Ronald Regan. NCL was contracted by the hotel owners to clear the property of its contents on two separate occasions. The first was in 1978 after the hotel had been sold to the Richard Rubin Company following the closing in 1976 as a result of the negative publicity gained from a disease that spread across the hotel. The disease was later named Legionnaires’ disease. Rubin gave the property a $25 million restoration and reduced the room count from 725 to 565. The hotel closed once more in 1986 for a $100 million renovation converting part of the hotel into office spaces and a shopping center. NCL was once more called upon to conduct an on-site liquidation sale.
Willard Hotel * Washington, DC * 1968
The present-day Willard, was designed at the turn of the 20th century by Henry Hardenburgh, the architect of New York’s Plaza Hotel. The Willard’s lobby has always served as the drawing room to the world; it is here that Lincoln held fireside meetings. The term “lobbyist” originated here, first used by Ulysses S. Grant to describe the political wheelers and dealers who frequented the hotel’s lobby after they learned that Grant was often to be found there, enjoying his cigar and brandy. In 1946, the Willard family sold its share of the hotel and it closed in 1968. Shortly after closing, NCL was contracted to sell the FF&E of the hotel by conducting an on-site public liquidation sale. One of the first of its kind in Washington, DC. The Willard reopened in 1986 and remains one of America’s finest hotels.